- Last Updated: Monday, 04 May 2020 17:35
- Written by Lupe R Haas
Official Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - (Los Angeles, CA – May 4, 2020) – The Hollywood Critics Association is hosting a film and television Triviathon to help raise funds for those who have been impacted by COVID-19.
“The past two months have been challenging and scary times. This pandemic is unlike anything we have ever seen or experienced before, but during this time of uncertainty, millions of people are doing what they can to help others in need. This is why we as an organization have decided that we wanted to do something not only as a way to assist those in need but to show our appreciation to everyone who has put themselves on the front lines during this incredibly difficult time,” notes HCA founder Scott Menzel.
“I have been so moved by all of the recent relief efforts and felt like our organization had to do something to give back to our community and those who have been impacted by the virus. We came up with the idea of hosting an online telethon, but wanted to make it fun, which is why we have decided to make it a trivia game,” adds HCA Vice President Jazz Tangcay.
The Hollywood Critics Association Triviathon will consist of seven rounds of film and television trivia that will feature questions created by members of the Hollywood Critics Association, as well as some special appearances by surprise guests. Each round will highlight a different organization that is doing its part to help out those who have been impacted by COVID-19. At the end of the event, the total amount of funds raised will be revealed and then divided up and donated evenly to the seven charity organizations that we have selected. We are raising money for The Actors Fund, ASPCA, Dine11.org, Feeding America, MPTF, UNICEF, and United Way Worldwide.
How to donate:
The Hollywood Critics Association has set up multiple ways in which you can donate to the organizations listed. Here are three easy ways to donate:
Via Venmo @HollywoodCritics
Via Paypal - paypal.me/HollywoodCritics
Via Individual GoFundMe Campaigns
United Way Worldwide - https://www.gofundme.com/f/hollywood-critics-association-and-united-way
How to play:
While this Triviathon is being held to help those in need, this trivia game is free to join and play. There will be a series of prizes as well as some bonus giveaways that will be given out throughout the event.
Starting at 4:30 p.m. PST/7:30 p.m. EST on Saturday, May 16, 2020, you can go to the Hollywood Critics Association YouTube channel or the Hollywood Critics Twitch Page to view the live stream of the Triviathon. The game itself will begin promptly at 5:00 p.m. PST/8:00 p.m. EST. We will also post the link on our Twitter page at @hcacritics and the official Hollywood Critics Association Facebook page.
We welcome everyone to join in the fun and play the game. You can play alone or create a team. However, if you are playing on a team, please select one person on your team to fill out the answer sheet for each and every round. We cannot have multiple sheets submitted for the same team. At the end of reach round, that answer sheet for that round will be turned off and answers can no longer be submitted. Once the sheet has been turned off, one of the hosts will reveal the answers for that round before the next round begins.
At the end of the event, the final scores will be added up and the three teams/winners with the highest scores will be announced later that evening or the following day on the official Hollywood Critics Association Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages. We will contact the winners directly to get the necessary information to ensure the winners will receive their prizes.
Six Important Rules:
1. No cheating. This means no looking up answers or clues on the internet. I know it’s tempting, but it is not in the true spirit of what makes trivia fun.
2. If you are using a team name, please make sure that the team name is spelled the same way for every round. If it is spelled incorrectly, we will count it as a separate entry.
3. Spelling. While we don’t want anyone looking up clues or answers on the internet, we do encourage everyone to use the internet if you don’t know how to spell an answer. The better the spelling, the quicker we will have the scores added up.
4. Please do not guess or post answers to the questions in the chat during the rounds. If you know the answer to a question, that’s awesome, but don’t give another team or player the answer because it will only hurt your odds of winning a prize at the end of the game. Please keep the answer to yourself or team members until all answer sheets are submitted and the round is officially closed.
5. We are doing this event for free as a way to raise funds to help support The Actors Fund, ASPCA, Dine11.org, Feeding America, MPTF, UNICEF, and United Way Worldwide. While it is not required to donate, anything that you can give is much appreciated.
6. Have fun. We are doing this because we love having a good time. Trivia is all about coming together with friends and having fun. We want everyone who is playing to enjoy themselves.
If you participate in our event, we would appreciate it if you could use one or more of the following hashtags: #HCACritics #HCATrivia #HCATriviaNight #HCATriviathon
We truly hope that this Triviathon offers some much-needed enjoyment and entertainment while also helping to support those who have been on the front lines and helping combat COVID-19.